Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Putting What I've Learned to Use

For my class LIS 5512, School Library Collection Development and Management, our next assignment involves getting familiar with some professional resources (e-mail listservs, blogs, and discussion groups) for school library media specialists. I decided to join LM_NET listserv as one of the resources I plan to evaluate for this assignment.

It makes me feel good that even though I only joined a couple days ago, I've already been able to contribute. One person posted a question asking for recommendations for books that might appeal to teenage male reluctant readers who like The Black Book series by Jonah Black and were looking for more books like it. Just last semester (was it last semester?) I wrote a paper about teenage male sexuality in young adult fiction, I had a list of similar books I could share with the original poster of the question.

Another person posted asking about sources for free-to-use (no copyright problems and no cost) photographs that students can use in a particular school assignment. Last summer in my Reference Services class I did a project on Flickr, which has two features that could be helpful to the orginal poster's students (The Commons - a collection of images from cultural institutions, like the Library of Congress and Smithsonian, with no known copyright restrictions, and the advanced search feature that allows you to search the regular photographs on Flickr for Creative Commons-licensed photographs). So I responded to that person with the information I had about how she could use Flickr to help the students find photographs they could use in their projects.

It's nice to see what I'm learning in school really does have use out in the real world of working school library media specialists.

No comments: