I used a pattern and instructions from the book Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby by Anna Maria Horner - "Swaddled Baby Love" from the Family Sewing chapter. The book itself has lovely photographs of the projects and some fun and cute looking ideas. This particular project (baby doll, doll diapers, and doll quilt) is meant to give to a child who will be getting a younger brother or sister soon to get them used to the idea. I decided to try my hand at making one for Isaac since he'll be getting a new brother around Christmas.
First, I'll say that although the instructions look simple and clear, and there are plenty of diagrams to help you out along the way, I re-did the doll twice, making sure I read the instructions correctly, and both times it didn't come out looking nearly as plump as the picture in the book. I traced out the pattern from the pattern sheets (which are extremely confusing to follow since patterns for several different projects are all on the same sheet and they overlap each other; you need to pay close attention to what lines you're tracing). The patterns themselves do not show the seam allowance, but the instructions clearly state that you should use a 1/2 inch seam allowance. After my first failed attempt at making the doll, I traced the pattern onto my fabric again, and this time I carefully measured out a 1/2 inch seam allowance and drew that onto the fabric as well with a water-soluble fabric marker, so that I would know I was sewing the correct width seam allowance. While my second attempt was neater than the first due to the drawn on sewing line, I still ended up with a baby doll with a big head and skinny arms and legs. I would think that maybe I was supposed to add the 1/2 inch seam allowance to the outside of the line I traced from the pattern, but other parts of the instructions seem to imply the line you trace from the pattern is your cutting line, not the sewing line. For instance, you are supposed to embroider the facial features after tracing the pattern with a water-soluble fabric marker but before cutting it out. The instructions about embroidering the face remind you not to embroider too close to the edge because you'll have a 1/2 inch seam allowance, and anything you stitch within 1/2 inch from the edge will not be seen.
I then cut the diapers out based on the pattern from the book. This part should have been the easiest, because you cut the diapers out of fleece and sew on velcro - no hemming or sewing other than adding the velcro. However, when I placed the diaper on the baby doll, the diapers were HUGE. Like up past the dolls armpits. This is another reason I feel like something is wrong with either the baby doll pattern or the instructions, and if I ever try to make this again, I'll add 1/2 inch seam allowance outside the pattern, not inside. I had to cut the diapers down in size to fit the baby I made.
The part I thought would be the hardest, the quilt, was actually the easiest. I didn't add the binding to the edges because by that point I was running out of patience and just wanted to finish, so I just sewed the front to the back. I think it still came out cute. The instructions for the quilt were actually pretty easy to follow and the diagrams along the way were very helpful.
Overall, I liked the idea of this particular project a lot, and the end product came out OK, but I think there are some issues with clarity in some of the instructions.
On to pictures of the end result.
The baby doll swaddled in the blanket:
There's a pocket on the back of the quilt that can be used to put the baby in and supposedly make it easier to swaddle:
The instructions also suggest storing the extra doll diapers in the back pocket:
Close-up of the baby doll (note that even cut down smaller the diaper is still very big):
Picture of the quilt in relation to the baby doll:
I really love the two different dinosaur fabrics I used; they're both so cute. I'm kind of surprised at how well the different front panels lined up because my strips were not cut or sewn evenly. Now I just need to think of something to do with the rest of the dinosaur fabric. It's so cute, I hate to waste the rest.
1 comment:
Laura, it turned out so cute!
Post a Comment