Saturday, January 16, 2010

Attending class from Disney World

I have to say, as much as I enjoy school most of the time, and as much as I love Disney World, trying to do them at the same time was a challenge. My first week of class was basically during my vacation, so every afternoon/evening I spent time doing my readings and/or signing on to Blackboard to participate in asynchronous class discussions, or to work on assignments. I had two assignments to complete and turn in while down there, two quizzes, and many discussion boards to participate in. It would have been more relaxing if I didn't have to think about school work at the same time. I also had to actually "attend" one class while down there as well, so I had to make sure I was in my hotel room and the internet connection in there was working by 8 pm.

I also managed to get a TB test at Walgreens while down there because it is needed before I go to Loudoun County Public Schools orientation this coming Tuesday for my ESL classroom observation placement at Park View. Because it's a test that needs 48-72 hours before it can be read, waiting until I got back would mean pushing the orientation back even further.

I managed to set up a second placement (I think, it's not finalized yet) at Rachel Carson Middle School with the ESL teacher there, so I can split my time between the placements and experience both high school and middle school ESL. I dropped off the volunteer forms at Rachel Carson yesterday during my lunch break, so hopefully I will be notified soon about what background check stuff I need to do for Fairfax County.

No comments: